World Library  

Astronomy (36,495 Books)

Astronomy is a natural science that deals with the study of celestial objects (such as stars, planets, comets, nebulae, star clusters and galaxies) and phenomena that originate outside the Earth's atmosphere (such as the cosmic background radiation). It is concerned with the evolution, physics, chemistry, meteorology, and motion of celestial objects, as well as the formation and development of the universe.

• Cover Image

Young Adventure

By: Stephen Vincent Benet

Poetry

Excerpt: Prefatory Note. // This poem received the nineteenth award of the prize offered by Professor Albert Stanburrough Cook to Yale // University for the best unpublished verse, the Committee of Award consisting of Professors C. F. Tucker Brooke, of // Yale University, Robert Frost, of Amherst College, and Charles M. Gayley, of the University of California. // Oh yes, I went over to Edmonstoun the other day and saw Johnny, mooning around as usual! // He will never mak...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Fathers of the Third and Fourth Centuries : Lactantius, Venantius,...

By: Philip Schaff

Religion and Christian Theology Collection

Excerpt: The genius of Lactantius suffers a sad transformation when unclothed of vernacular and stripped of the idiomatic graces of his style. But the intelligent reader will be sure to compare this translation with the Latinity of the original, and to recur to it often for the enjoyment of its charming rhetoric, and of the high sentiment it so nobly enforces and adorns. This volume will be the favorite of the series with many. The writings of the Christian Tully alone m...

Read More
  • Cover Image

World Health Organization : Report on a European Syposium Convened...

By: World Health Organization

Medical Reference Publication

PREFACE The review of work representing the United States c o n t r i b u t i o n an Manganese and i t s Compounds i n Relation to Health, 1967-1973, has not i n every instance been r e s t r i c t e d t o t h i s seven-year period. E a r l i e r work was sometimes c i t e d f o r t h e purpose o f providing c l a r i t y t o the subject matter under discussion. Many important foreign references were omitted, i n accordance w i t h i n s t r u c t i o n s , i n order t o...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Lumped Modeling of Laurentian Great Lakes Evaporation, Heat Storag...

By: Thomas E. Croley II

Excerpt: Lumped Modeling Of Laurentian Great Lakes Evaporation, Heat Storage, And Energy Fluxes For Forecasting And Simulation. Lake evaporation for the Laurentian Great Lakes is of the same order of magnitude as precipitation and runoff to the lakes and its estimation is important for simulations and forecasts of lake levels. Water or energy balance estimates of Great Lakes evaporation require storage-change data, not available in simulations or forecasts, and errors in...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Anf 07 : Fathers of the Third and Fourth Centuries : Lactantius, V...

By: Philip Schaff

Religious Publication

Excerpt: The genius of Lactantius suffers a sad transformation when unclothed of vernacular and stripped of the idiomatic graces of his style. But the intelligent reader will be sure to compare this translation with the Latinity of the original, and to recur to it often for the enjoyment of its charming rhetoric, and of the high sentiment it so nobly enforces and adorns. This volume will be the favourite of the series with many. The writings of the Christian Tully alone ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Jarek

By: Rigby Taylor

‘Jarek’ takes a tongue in cheek swipe at the extreme elements of 'women’s liberation', while offering a serious alternative to the way we currently teach our children.

Chapter 1. Zeno Skinny-dipping with Raylene’s friends was not Zeno’s idea of a fun night out. He’d only agreed because he wanted to seem tough, and hoped if he felt her up in the water and fucked her afterwards her mates would stop spreading rumours he was queer. The cars screeched to a halt at the boat ramp. Everyone piled out and headed for the small beach until Bob’s girlfriend reckoned there’d be eels and leeches in the river, so she refused to go down. Then the ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Cost Methodology Report for Beef and Dairy Animal Feeding Operations

By: Environmental Protection Agency

Excerpt: ACKNOWLEDGMENTS AND DISCLAIMER: This report has been reviewed and approved for publication by the Engineering and Analysis Division, Office of Science and Technology. This report was prepared by Eastern Research Group, Inc., under the direction and review of Paul Shriner at the Office of Science and Technology. Neither the United States government nor any of its employees, contractors, subcontractors, or other employees makes any warranty, expressed or implied, ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Technical Resource Document

Excerpt: DISCLAIMER AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: This document was prepared by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The mention of company or product names is not to be considered an endorsement by the U.S. Government or the EPA. This Technical Resource Document consists of five sections. The first section is EPA's Profile of the gold industry; the remaining four sections are Site Visit Reports from site visits conducted by EPA. The Profile Section was distributed fo...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Mercury Study Report to Congress

Excerpt: Section 112(n)(1)(B) of the Clean Air Act (CAA), as amended in 1990, requires the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to submit a study on atmospheric mercury emissions to Congress. The sources of emissions that must be studied include electric utility steam generating units, municipal waste combustion units and other sources, including area sources. Congress directed that the Mercury Study evaluate many aspects of mercury emissions, including the rate an...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Zbrata to Accompany National Bureau of Standards

By: Charlotte E. Moore

Technical Reference Publication

Preface: The preparation of a Multiplet Table that will meet the needs of all astrophysicists both now and in the future is an almost overwhelming undertaking. The most eminent workers would have to exercise careful judgment in handling the spectroscopic literature today. The writer has been bold enough to attempt it, only because of the many requests for a revision of the earlier Table and the enthusiasm with which it was received in spite of its many faults. Admittedly...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Evaluation of the Block Splitting Operation for Tabulation Purposes

By: Somonica Green

Statistical Reference Document

Excerpt: This evaluation measures the percent of the country affected by collection blocks split for tabulation purposes, and the accuracy of that block splitting. The country refers to all areas of the United States except Puerto Rico, the Island Areas, Remote Alaska, and collection blocks without housing units or group quarters. This evaluation does not measure geocoding error. Collection blocks are geographic areas that are usually defined by visible features, and use...

Read More
  • Cover Image

World Health Organization : Year 2000 ; World Health Organization,...

By: L. Fishbein

Medical Reference Publication

FOREWORD The principal focus of this work is to mher the objectives of the IPCS in its elaboration and evaluation of the effects of chemicals on human health and the environment and the development of methodology, testing methods and risk evaluation by highlighting the basic tenets of the cornerstone, toxicology. Toxicology is increasingly recognized to be a dynamic discipline where change is being driven by both technological and conceptual advances. Hence this report w...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Results and Recommendations

By: Bradley O. Parks

Excerpt: Foreword: The National Biological Information Infrastructure (NBII) is being implemented to serve national biodiversity management, research, and education needs. It began in the middle 1990’s as a World Wide Web-based information system developed through partnerships with key organizations. The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Center for Biological Informatics (CBI) serves as an infrastructure node and provides leadership for NBII implementation. The NBII seeks to...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Advances and Applications of DSmT for Information Fusion (Collecte...

By: Florentin Smarandache; Jean Dezert

This book is devoted to an emerging branch of Information Fusion based on new approach for modeling the fusion problematic when the information provided by the sources is both uncertain and (highly) conflicting. This approach, known in literature as DSmT (standing for Dezert-Smarandache Theory), proposes new useful rules of combinations. We gathered in this volume a presentation of DSmT from the beginning to the latest development. Part 1 of this book presents the curren...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Assessing the Quality of the March Current Population Survey and t...

By: Marc Roemer

Excerpt: This investigation attempts to develop administrative benchmarks of income compatible with the March Current Population Survey (CPS) and the Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP), two income surveys conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. Many people are reluctant to reveal their incomes to survey researchers, and this reluctance makes such surveys particularly prone to response errors. A respondent can fail to report receipt of income, fail to report t...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Current Population Reports

By: Edwin Byerly

Introduction: This report represents a synthesis of three previously separate series P25 reports: 1. An annual State estimates report, with age-sex detail and components of population change 2. An annual national level report with age-race-sex- Hispanic origin detail 3. Amonthly national ?boilerplate? report showing monthly estimates for three population universes This report begins with a brief section highlighting 1990 to 1994 population trends. A separate Current Popu...

Read More

Records: 36481 - 36495 of 36,495 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.